4.26.2007

Ch..Ch...Ch..Changes....

I'm having major "I need to change my life" issues today. I stayed home from my 8-5'er on Monday, and while at home watched Oprah (i know, i know)...the topic of the day was all about people who have followed their dreams and found success despite what others said.
Russell Simmons was on with his new book, "Do You!: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success". Now, I'm not usually moved by hip-hop moguls, but it sparked something in me. It made me take one step closer to being active in MY life and take those steps that put you closer to enjoying life and being an active participant.
I made jewelry for a few years and even survived for awhile with the jewelry income as my only income. The jewelry that I was making was not rocket science, and 70% of the sellers on etsy make it now, but at the time it wasn't around every corner and online shops weren't what they are today. I'm not trying to discount what I made, but it was more a craft than an art-- if you know what I mean. The only thing that I can say for it is that I MADE IT...I was the one who sought out new retailers, I was the one who ordered supplies, submitted my work for craft shows, traveled to craft shows, sat out in the rain at craft shows...but at the end of the day, I was doing what I wanted to be doing. There is so much to be said for that...and now, I just have to figure out how to get back to it.
Enough of the rant...also on the Oprah's show, Jonathan Adler (who I do love) and Liz Lange (the maternity wear maven) were guests talking about how they went against the grain and did something that made them happy, not exactly what they had experience in doing. I think I'm going to purchase Russell Simmons', or someone else's self help book on taking a risk and not just working in a cubicle because that's what pays the bills. I'll keep you posted! ;-)

1 comment:

lisamarie said...

may day, may day?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...