2.04.2011

Rehab

Can anyone else hear that word "rehab", and not automatically start singing the Amy Winehouse song?  Or maybe you think of Lindsay Lohan? Just curious.

This post is really about rehabbing houses, saving houses that seem beyond repair and bringing them back to their original glory, not Amy or Lindsay.

I have been digging deep in the internet trenches the past few weeks looking at old houses online, and just day dreaming of owning one and getting dirt under my nails.  I think I might have a sickness, there's something in me that constantly needs to be handy and/or improving my surroundings, I just can't help it.  My husband and I both love our current house and can't imagine leaving all of the work that we have put into it behind us....but we do recognize that this house might not be the house we grow old in, all of the rooms are small, with the exception of our giant bedroom upstairs.  Thinking of starting a family seems impossible without a proper dining room table for everyone to gather around and talk about their day!

Since it looks like I won't be moving in the near future, I thought I would share some gems with you.  Today's find is in North Carolina, I want to move there and rescue this house from decay.



The house was constructed around 1919 and is located in Kinston, N.C., and is referred to as the W.C. Fields House due to being constructed by the Fields family and later donated to Preservation North Carolina. The current asking price is $40,000 and it is in a commercial area.  I'm pretty sure at 3,951 square feet, we could have a retail shop (my dream) on the first floor and live on the second floor.  That might be a little weird, but we would be able to purchase the ENTIRE house on the profit we would make on our current house.  Meaning, we wouldn't need to sell much merch each month, to be able to live since we'd have no housing costs, only living costs.  I know, easier said than done...oh, and of course we have no family or friends that live in Kinston! ha













For more info on this, and other historic properties in N.C. visit here.

2 comments:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I do believe you met a friend of ours who renovated your grandfather's old store on the square. In addition, he and his wife bought a house on Main Street which was a grave disrepair! What they did not know at the auction was they bought a crack house (yes, on Main St!). They swear up and down that this was not evident at the auction, but it took 7 jumbo dumpsters just to be able to get to the actual reno. Man, the stories they have!

And yes, I was singing the Amy Winehouse song when I started reading your post.

Eartha Kitsch said...

Oh my gosh, it's glorious! When I look at it, I don't even see how it is now. I instantly see what it could be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...